Friday, February 27, 2009

Guess Who's Cancelled Again?

Well, not quite yet, I'll know officially on Monday. Apparently my left ovary has two follicles at about a day 8 size. I get to try to shoot up some more lupron over the weekend and go back on Monday. If they are still there, I'm cancelled. I am so angry and frustrated. Let me break it down...

1. My doctor does not do baseline ultrasounds and bloodwork on day one of my period. I always know when my baseline ultrasound is when I get my protocol. I assume he does this so that all patients fit into a nice schedule. I actually started my period seven days ago and have already almost forgot that I had it. Interesting that I am on day seven after my period and have follicles of a day 8 size. I guess I was not suppressed enough.

2. After being cancelled last cycle I told my RE that I wanted more monitoring this cycle to determine if everything was on track. My RE told me that more monitoring would be a waste of my time and money. Really? Because if this cycle is cancelled I would have rather wasted my time and money.

Sorry....can't type anymore. I'm at work and I don't want to cry anymore.

21 comments:

Lori said...

Awwww man, that totally sucks.

So sorry you got this news.

Abiding with you...

Amy said...

Megan, so sorry to hear...

love and hugs

Abbie said...

Megan- that just is awful. :( :( :( I'm so sorry to hear that, although I hope things turn around this weekend!

Cassandra said...

Arrgh, not again!

Unless the RE can manipulate what day you get your period precisely (which BCP can almost do, but not exactly) this one-size-fits-all protocol doesn't seem to be working for you. It seems like most REs, regardless of how much they normally monitor, would indeed monitor someone more after OHSS. In your situation I'd be raising hell!

And is a canceled cycle free? Otherwise the waste of time and money has been the cycle itself, not the monitoring.

Hope the Lupron does the trick. Hang in there over the weekend.

Mo and Will said...

Ugh. total crap. thinking of you.

mo

Betty Rubble said...

That is SUCH BS! Honestly, its time to fire your RE!

strongblonde said...

oh megan, this sucks. :( i think that it's reasonable to ask for more monitoring. i can't for the life of me remember your lupron dose. wonder if they could convert you to an IUI? if you've got two follicles, why not go with it? at least try *something*?? ...but then again, what do i know?

hugs! xoxo

IVF 40+ said...

I say fire the RE. He isn't worth the money. You deserve the best medical care possible for your treatment - no excuses.
So sorry you are going through this. Thoughts are with you

birdsandsquirrels said...

Oh, Megan, I'm so sorry. Do you have any other options for an RE? This one doesn't seem to be able to take very good care of you. That's ridiculous that you have to wait for your baseline on HIS schedule. I hope that the lupron over the weekend works and that you are able to salvage this cycle.

just me said...

so sorry to hear, sounds like a new RE is in order, or at least a serious conversation with this one.

Leslie Laine said...

Oh, Megan - I'll be praying for us both over the weekend. This IVF thing really sucks - I can't believe I ever thought it would be so simple as take a few injections, get a few embryos and Voila! How naive was that?

I'm thinking about you and hoping that things move in a good direction this weekend. I just wrote a post about how emotionally hellish this experience is -

Hoping for good things this weekend - get some good rest and let yourself cry as much as you damn well want to (as soon as you get home - I know how much it sucks to wait until 5 p.m. for a full-fledged breakdown!).

areyoukiddingme said...

Sorry to hear that this cycle may not work...but it does sound like your doctor is not considering your unique situation - just his own convenience. I hope that you have other options for doctors, because once you stop trusting their judgement, you might as well stop seeing them entirely. Good luck - I hope Monday has better news.

Nicole said...

Megan, I'm so sorry for the bad news. What a crap way to get it too. I'm going to sound like a broken record here but I agree with the other comments and a second opinion with a new RE can't hurt. I know that when we switched REs it was like getting a fresh start--new eyes, new ideas, etc. And your confidence level will sky-rocket if you truly believe in what your RE is doing and saying.

I hope the outcome changes, but if not, know I'm thinking of you!

Leslie Laine said...

You know, Megan, I don't know about your RE situation and whether or not your thinking about switching, but I wanted to let you know that we did exactly that. We moved to a clinic that is actually 2 hours away. It sucks in many ways, but it works, and we're happier with the individualized care we've received at the new Clinic (although I've found that every RE has his/her downfalls). It can work - even if it's far away because you can always do your monitoring right where you are.

Just something to think about.

Wish I had some amazingly humorous video to make you laugh and get through this the same way you have helped me laugh when I wanted to pull my hair out, but alas, I'm not that savvy and often ask myself, "How in the hell did she do that?"

Hope you're having a peaceful Friday evening.

Carrie said...

Lame! I am a new follower of you, and am QUITE pissed off for you. My first cycle was canceled last month- Lupron wasn't suppressing me and I had a monster of a cyst. I hope that the ovaries slow down over the weekend... I am crossing my fingers and toes for you.
Carrie

musicmakermomma said...

Hoping for better results on Monday - so sorry things aren't working yet.

Misty said...

That Sucks Big Time! Really hoping that Monday brings better news. Wish I had something better to say. I'll be thinking of you.

twondra said...

I'm soooo sorry. I can't imagine how frustrating that is. (((HUGS)))

Callie said...

Oh, Megan - I'm so so sorry to hear this! Having a cycle cancelled is devastating enough, but when it seems like it could have been avoided, that makes it all the worse.

I hesitate to offer my assvice, because I don't know your full situation, but I agree with the others that a 2nd opinion might be in order.

My RE does the same thing as yours - puts everyone on the same schedule so that all ER/ET happen in a one week period, but he still does a baseline U/S and bloodwork on Day 3 and uses that to set the suppression protocol.

The fact that you specifically asked for more monitoring (a perfectly reasonable request given your history) and that was summarily dismissed concerns me - especially in light of this potential outcome.

I am praying that the extra hit of Lupron does the trick and you're able to go forward. Take care! We're all pulling for you!

awakeintheworld said...

What an asshat. I don't really have anything else for you as I am woefully inexperienced in the whole RE realm (other than the one meeting we had with one to talk about possibly working with him), so I'll just repeat. What an asshat.

Seriously? - Erin said...

Here from ICLW. I am sorry that this cycle may be canceled. Wishing you the best.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin