Friday, December 26, 2008

Husbands Suck

OK, I have to rant a little about my husband. Let me preface this by saying that I love my husband more than anyone else in the world and he is a very good husband. But he is definitely not romantic. I don't have a touching engagement story. There were no sentimental moments on our wedding day. He simply does not have that gene and most times I am fine with that.

Generally we do not exchange Christmas presents, mostly because we are too practical. We are like a lot of people and if we want something, we buy it. The things we don't buy, the things that we would want as gifts, we cannot afford. This year we went on a vacation to NYC for Christmas, and I don't know why, but I really thought that he would surprise me with a special present. It just seemed like such an appropriate thing for him to do after all I have been through this year.

Now let's discuss this for a minute. My husband has been very supportive during this IVF journey. He goes to appointments with me, he gives me all my shots, and he babies me when I don't feel well. (However, I do have to admit that after every shot he has an annoying habit of saying, "That wasn't so bad," to which I always respond, "OK, then let's do you now.") Also, this has been difficult for him to deal with emotionally.

But let's face it...I think this whole IVF thing is so much harder for the woman. I am dealing with emotional and physical issues. I have to take the time off work to go to countless doctors appointments. I'm the one who has had all sorts of instruments, dyes, solutions, and probes shoved up my vagina. I'm the one who has been getting shots everyday for over a month now. I'm the one on the hormones.

Maybe I'm selfish, but I just thought that giving me a special Christmas present this year would be a nice way for him to acknowledge and thank me for all I have been through. Because mostly that is what I am looking for from him, and that is what I feel I am missing; acknowledgement and thanks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is your husband an engineer? Sounds just like mine! I know he cares, but would it kill him to write a little note or buy me a flower once a year or so?! Take care, your girlfriends understand.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin