Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Colors of Infertility

OK, so getting my period on Sunday night wasn't the whole story. I did a pregnancy test Friday on my way home from work.

I was feeling so tired, so put-my-head-on-the-desk-at-work-can't-drag-my-ass-out-of-bed-in-the-morning tired that I really thought that I might be pregnant. I didn't want to use a possible pregnancy as a reason to sit on my ass all weekend.

So I tested. And it was negative. And as I looked at the stark whiteness where a pink line should be I thought, "That would make an interesting paint color...'negative pregnancy test white.'"

Which made me wonder about the other colors of infertility:

Miscarriage Red

Pre-Natal Vitamin Urine Neon Yellow

Wheatgrass Green

Injection Bruise Blue

Menstrual Spotting Pink

On Sunday morning I figured out why I was so tired. I woke up with a terrible sore throat, a headache, and an achy body. I'm feeling much better now.

...Now I know all of you can come up with more colors...

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Infertility Gray....

After all infertility isn't black or white...its all fuzzy gray areas. Sigh....

I'm sorry that your period came early much less at all. Sigh...

areyoukiddingme said...

Then there's the rainbow of colors that those injection site bruises leave as they fade - I particularly like the puce color.

Let's not forget the shade of gray that my face turns when I get those pharmacy bills...

My Vegas said...

I like your color names. Thanks for the smile today.

Amber said...

I'm definitely going to say my mood on progesterone is black. I love your rainbow descriptions!

Jessica said...

Green with envy of all pregnant women!!

Mom Genes said...

Right now I am looking at "After laparoscopic tube removal gauze brown."
Thank you for the humor in the middle this.

JB said...

I propose "gagging on pre-natal vitamin maroon," "holding your breath blue," and "post-BFN black."

Anonymous said...

How about pale green for the colour my face turns fighting nausea from the trigger shot. Great post. sorry about that period showing up. Its the pits.

Milla said...

I think there should be a colour that expresses the little moments of falling-sensation that immediately follow the 'your test results are really bad', 'your drugs aren't doing anything', BFN. Maybe that could be blue or purple.

Then hot pink for all of the small wounds that get jabbed all day by the chats with my colleagues who moan about their kids and tell me not to have any/ask why I don't have any yet, the medic yesterday who 'just couldn't beliieevvee' how poor my test results were, the women who congratulate me on my (nonexistent) pregnancy (hey, I'm in my 30s & been married a few years, I could easily be that woman in my dept they heard about, I'm just not). Apologies for the overshare :)

Me said...

Surgery scar - purple.

You're so right about the colors!

Anonymous said...

Irridecence(spelling?!)/glittery when I get a migraine from all the stress. I am sure others get it from the hormones.

Black- when I close my eyes to just shut it all out and forget it for just a little while.

I love this post- what an awesome description of it all!

Liz said...

The husband has synesthesia. So he sees different colours with different numbers, I should ask him what colour each of my cycle days are!

KS said...

How about peach...the color of our stretch-markless tummies? Hey, there's a bright side, right? At least I try to remind myself of that :).

NLY said...

Orange - the color of your overflowing sharps container sitting on your kitchen counter next to your blender. A reminder that your kitchen has become a small pharmacy where you mix cocktails of hormones instead of the happy juice you once consumed.

neo ink said...

Partial Molar pregnancy - black

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin